Sunday, January 3, 2010

Wild Horses of Wyoming


We spent a few days at my in-law's in Big Piney, Wyoming, after Christmas, and took one day to look for some wild horses. My father-in-law works in the natural gas fields and knew where a few bands had been hanging out, so I had an advantage in the vast expanse of BLM land where they winter!
We found this small band, consisting of a stud and a mare, with an old bachelor stud tagging along, in the Jonah natural gas field.



This bigger herd was near Pilot Butte close to Rock Springs. These horses are extremely flighty this time of year and it took me about 30 minutes to get close to them, and with it being near zero out, I didn't stay out for long!



While I was lying on a small bank of sagebrush photographing this small band, I saw a truck slam on its brakes and back up into the ditch on the side of the road. I then heard whistling going past my head, and realized I was being shot at. They had a silencer on the gun, so I never heard any shots, but could hear the bullets going past me. After they saw me take their picture, they took off. My husband & in-laws were around a bend in the road and couldn't see or hear what had happened, but had seen the truck stop and back up. By the time I ran all the way back to our vehicle, the truck was long gone. I don't know if they actually saw me, as I was wearing brown & white, and they were just trying to scare the horses, or if they were trying to scare me...but I was done photographing the horses after that!



Wishing everyone a blessed and healthy New Year full of love and laughter!
Jana

No comments:

Post a Comment