Sunday, December 14, 2008

Opening Day of Northern Hills Deer Season

Welcome to the photo blog of Thompson Photography! In my blog, I will try to keep you updated on highlights of sports events in the northern Black Hills, as well with the other avenues I am pursuing in my photogaphy career (fishing, hiking, camping, snowmobiling....)!! Welcome, and I hope you enjoy!
Jana

11/01/08 ~ Well, the day all of the Northern Hills hunters wait anxiously for is finally here! I decided to spend it holed up in a blind calling the pack of coyotes who live behind our house, trying to get some pictures, but they were smart and decided the opening day of rifle season probably was a good day to stay holed up! I did hear a couple of them yip a few times, but they waited until it was good and dark before venturing out. By then I was trying to stumble my way back to the truck, since I had forgotten my headlamp!
No coyotes, but I saw some other critters!


This guy followed me almost all way to the ravine where I was going to hide, then he decided the going was a little too rough. Every time I set up my tripod to take a picture, he started chewing on my camera, so I finally had to give up!


Hiding out from the bowhunters that are just on the other side of the fence!

Pretty as a picture!!!!



It is amazing how BIG these guys sound when you are sitting in the woods all by yourself and it is getting dark out, and there is a thick pile of dried leaves on the ground and every sound is magnified 1000%! I swore there was something really big out there coming my way!!!! Looks pretty innocent, doesn't he???


No headlamp, lots of things going bump in the night, and a ways back to truck (but one very friendly horse to keep me company!). Time to call it a night!

No comments:

Post a Comment