Sunday, May 17, 2009

Jackpine Gypsies SDMA Sanctioned Motocross

Finally...the season I have been waiting for! I absolutely love the speed and the excitement of motocross, having ridden dirtbikes and ATVs in the Big Horn Mountains all my life, and having to keep up with three older brothers and their friends!

The Jackpine Gypsies held a two-day SDMA-sanctioned event at their club grounds in Sturgis on Saturday and Sunday. I wasn't able to attend Sunday's event (a lakeful of fish, a boat, and my husband, were calling!), but I spent most of Saturday having an absolute blast photographing one of my favorite events!






All photographers are aware of the "golden hour" or "magic hour", a short period of time just before sunrise or just after sunset when the sunlight is optimal for taking photographs and all of the colors in the spectrum seem to be enhanced. This effect is also noticed after a rain shower when there is moisture in the air, as the moisture causes the colors to appear more saturated. However, I don't think many photographers would expect to find an effect such as this at a motocross track at two o'clock in the afternoon! After battling with tough exposure conditions ranging from bright sunlight to dark shade all morning, the afternoon brought this absolutely fantastic lighting! The combination of the increased humidity from watering the track at the lunch break and backlighting filtered from the trees and the dust, and I had my "magic hour" for an afternoon of optimal shooting! Unfortunately, my "magic hour" lasted only about that long, as my phone rang and my teenage son needed a ride home from work...the magic ended and back to reality!




More images from Saturday's motocross action can be seen at Thompson Photography !

No comments:

Post a Comment