Thursday, September 30, 2010

Heading to Wyoming!

My cancer treatment is finished, I am getting my strength back, and after spending over nine months cooped up in the house, it's time for a road trip!  First heading to the McCullough Peaks Wild Horse Range just outside of Cody for a couple of days, then to Yellowstone to spend some time with the bears!

Usually when we head over the Big Horns we are in a hurry and don't have time to stop and enjoy the scenery.  This time, I had as much time as I wanted to take, so I played tourist and enjoyed a leisurely drive over Highway 14 from Sheridan to Shell, which is absolutely beautiful this time of year!


Some horses relaxing on a beautiful fall day!

It was late afternoon when I reached the McCullough Peaks Wild Horse Range, so I figured I would just head in and do a little bit of exploring and then camp where ever I happened to be when it got dark.  For anyone who has never been to McCullough Peaks, I highly recommend a Jeep or short wheel-based SUV, NOT a one-ton crew cab 4x4!  I can't count the number of times I had to back up (sometimes for a LONG ways to find a place wide enough to turn around) because the little 2-track I would be following would come to a washout that was too steep for my truck, but a shorter vehicle would handle it with no problem!  I have been telling my husband for a year now that I "need" a Jeep...maybe this will convince him!  This place is definitely the "Badlands of Wyoming", very rugged, and very beautiful!  I had been exploring for a couple of hours when I found a small band of horses and stopped to take some pictures.

 The stallion was curious, but he wasn't too worried as long as I kept my distance.

This mare is seeking some reassurance from the band stallion.  
After she figured out everything was okay, she brought all of her girls to say hello!

A group of lovely ladies coming to say hello!

As the sun started to set, these two little guys still weren't too sure about me! 

It was starting to get dark, so I figured this was as good of place as any to camp.  I started heating some water for some soup, and these two little colts kept circling my camp and getting closer each time...very curious yet not quite as brave as the big horses!

As it started getting darker, the coyotes started howling.  
That sent the babies scurrying back to the herd!

Moonrise over the McCullough Peaks Wild Horse Range

The sunset was incredible! 

My camp guard...the stallion keeping watch above my camp

I fell asleep listening to the coyotes serenade to me and the wild horses grazing just outside my camp, counting my blessings and being thankful for the incredible day, and looking forward to what tomorrow would bring!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time :)
    Also, good to see the treatments are over!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Becky! Yep, it sure is nice to be done with all of my treatment and back out among the world again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Dan, I am glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete