Friday, October 1, 2010

McCullough Peaks Wild Horse Range

Morning light over the McCullough Peaks Wild Horse Range

Well, I was hoping to be up in time to catch the sunrise, but I don't think I have slept so good in months!  I woke up to the morning sun beating down on me, and, much to my delight, a couple of curious colts staring at me!


I got my coffee going and had a bowl of cereal, as I took pictures of the herd grazing around me.  I think I would have been happy just spending the entire day right there!  But I wanted to see more of the range and other herds, so I packed up and headed out!

"Hey, I'll have some Raisin Bran Crunch!", but the stallion decided she was getting a little too close and drove her back!

After spending the entire day in the range, I found two other small bands, covered a lot of beautiful, rugged country, and had a fantastic day!  I had spent over 24 hours in this area and had not even seen another vehicle!

One of two wells installed by Friends of a Legacy (FOAL) volunteers and BLM

As I was working my out of the range, I saw a big band of approximately 15-20 horses grazing a few miles away.  It took about an hour to work my way to them, but I finally found them near a small pond.

Curious mares coming to visit...until something else catches their eye...
A herd of about 30 mustangs on the run to the water hole about a mile away...
The band I was watching wanted NOTHING TO DO with the larger band coming in.  
The stallion wasted no time rounding the mares up and heading out!
And these are the reason why...two very large and healthy bachelor studs trailing along with the two separate herds that came in...

And so began my best couple hours of the day! I was too late getting to the water hole to see the horses lying down in it, rolling in it, and drinking, as I had been photographing the other band and it took me a while to hike back to the waterhole, but just watching their interaction as they rolled, soaking wet, in the dirt, and then spent the evening socializing and grazing, was so much fun!

The family unit!

Sharing the waterhole!

Typical guy...loves to get dirty!

At least he stayed clean on one side!

I contemplated spending another night in the wild horse range, but I wanted to get an early start into Yellowstone the next morning (and I also wanted a shower!), so I headed into Cody.  I stopped at the KOA Campground on my way by, where you can get a terrific shower, clean with lots of water pressure, for only $3.00, and then headed to the Buffalo Bill Reservoir to catch an incredible sunset to end my day!

Sunset at the Buffalo Bill Reservoir...a beautiful close to a terrific day! 

1 comment:

  1. wow these r soooo great souds super fun!!! I <3 horses!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete