Friday, October 22, 2010

First Day in Yellowstone!

I have been so busy lately, I haven't had time to edit many of the pictures from my trip; however, I decided to take a little while this morning and at least get a few from my first day in the park finished!

I had hoped to get up early and be in the park by sunup, but sleeping in my truck in the Cody Wal-Mart parking lot proved to be a lot more comfortable than I thought, and it was almost 7:00 when I woke up...whoops! But I quickly got on my way and headed along the beautiful Buffalo Bill Scenic Byway to the East Gate of Yellowstone.  As I was driving, I realized that it was probably the first time I have ever made that drive in the daylight, as I have always tried to be in the park right at dawn, so I just took my time and enjoyed the beautiful scenery!
Full Moon over the North Fork of the Shoshone River

I was thrilled to come across a pair of moose having some breakfast just outside the gate of the park...


Then a grizzly bear out for a stroll at Mary Bay...

As I was putting my lens away, a coyote paused during his morning travels...

I had decided to camp at Mammoth Campground for at least a couple of days, so I figured I better head that direction first thing and get my campsite, as I knew the campgrounds would fill up quick, so I headed north towards Tower and Mammoth.  I got to Mammoth Campground just in time, as they only had two sites remaining! I got checked in, set up my tent, and headed towards Lamar Valley hoping to spot some wolves or another grizzly.  I was almost to Tower Junction when I came across a young black bear, who I would return to photograph almost every day during my visit.
 He was pretty scruffy, but he sure was fun to watch!

After spending about an hour with this bear, I headed to Lamar Valley, but with no luck.  Tired, but happy with the results of the day, I headed back to camp, ready to do it all again tomorrow!

1 comment: