Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Badlands National Park

This past weekend my husband headed to Story, Wyoming, to ride his 4-wheeler up Penrose Trail for some lake fishing. Since I had a baseball tournament to shoot, I was left behind. I had games Friday and Sunday, but Saturday I took the day to go exploring by myself in Badlands National Park. There were a couple of areas I have always wanted to hike into, but my husband has an extreme aversion to heat, and his idea of a good time definitely isn't hiking in the Badlands, so this was my perfect opportunity!

Although I love traveling with my husband, I thoroughly enjoy just packing up my vehicle and taking off to explore all by my lonesome! I can stop when I want, go where I want, and even backtrack 20 times if I want (and believe me...I do)! When a friend asked me how long it took me to get to the Badlands on Highway 44, and I told her about four hours...she looked at me like I must have been lost. But my favorite T-shirt says, "He who wanders isn't always lost"!!!!
My first visit to the beautiful town of Scenic, South Dakota!

The Cheyenne River ~ the amount of sweet clover was incredible!

This little guy wasn't too impressed with having his picture taken...
While this guy couldn't care less!

After a few hours of "wandering", I finally made it to the park, just in time to see this fawn trying to catch up with his mama and sibling who had already crossed the road and were waiting in the tall grass for him.






I had been hiking in the backcountry in the Sage Creek Basin for a couple of hours when this guy decided I must look (or maybe smell!) like a possible casualty, as he circled above me for about a mile!



I had a great time, and I had forgotten just how beautiful the Badlands are! My next trip to the Badlands is going to be a nighttime trip for some astrophotography, but first is an anxiously-awaited trip to Glacier National Park this coming up July 4th holiday (and my birthday for everyone who is sending gifts)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment