Friday, June 12, 2009

The Deadwood Mickelson Trail Marathon 2009

Earlier this year, Mark Coffey of Action Sports Images, LLC, contacted me to see if I would be interested in photographing the Deadwood Mickelson Trail Marathon with him and his crew. Always looking for some extra cash, I thought that sounded like a lot of fun and a great opportunity! As the weekend of the Marathon rolled around, and the forecast was calling for a 75% chance of rain and about 50 degrees, I wasn't so sure about the fun factor, but I packed my six jackets, wool socks, and rain gear, and headed out into the dense fog to my assigned spot at the half marathon start line!

After being there myself as a competitor (well...kind of!) previously, the start line was a familiar site, and the camaraderie and excitement among the approximately 1,400 runners & walkers was fun to experience! After photographing the stampede of runners taking off at the start of the half marathon, I moved to a more scenic area to wait for the marathon runners as they passed the 13-mile point...on their way to the home stretch! The weather held for the most part, and although the fog and mist made it a bit of a challenge for photographers, it was actually a perfect day for the runners, which is what counts!

In spite of the wet and cold weather, I had a lot of fun interacting with the runners and walkers and offering support and encouragement. Now I have to get out there and start training even harder for the Leading Ladies Marathon in August!!!!

Anyone looking for the Deadwood Mickelson Trail Marathon Photos can view and purchase the photos at Action Sports Images, LLC

No comments:

Post a Comment