Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Moon, Mars, and the International Space Station

It was all a matter of being in the right place at the right time...and blind dumb luck! My husband was getting ready for work at about 4:30 this morning when he glanced out the bedroom doors and noticed that the moon and Mars were framed perfectly by the trees off of our deck. He delights in having a legitimate excuse to wake me up that early in the morning, so he of course told me I needed to set up my camera and get a picture because it looked really cool. I mumbled something about it probably still looking really cool in half an hour, and tried to go back to sleep. But within a couple of minutes, my curiosity had me out of bed and looking outside, and sure enough, the moon was absolutely gorgeous. So I grabbed my camera and tripod, threw on some sweats and slippers (my standard work attire!), and headed out onto the deck. For about the next 30 minutes, I proceeded to take a variety of exposures of the moon, but it wasn't until I got back to my office and downloaded my pictures that I realized that I had captured the International Space Station at about 5:10 this morning. Definitely worth getting out of bed for!

No comments:

Post a Comment